Monday 30 May 2011

To my sister,

I Stand on Water not on Land

I stand on water,
not on land.
Steps will not leave footprints 
Only small ripples riding on smooth surfaces.

Soleless feet guide my direction
I follow the ripples' path as 
I travel onward.

Boats rocking up and down 
in the water.
 Filled with dark shadows 
and faces I cannot see.
Many I passed, but 
None for me.

One amongst others, I see.
My eyes find.
The only one for me.
Covered in green algae 
and watery plants
of various kinds.
I stepped in 
and slowly sat
in this tiny boat of mine.
It swung me gently 
Back and forth.


Immersed in joy,
I hear laughter at a distance
Not far
Surrounding me
Louder it gets,
Deafening to my ears
as it fills the air.


On nearby boats,
Faces, I can clearly see
Of shadows
Lingering towards me
Malicious grins approach me.
Frozen, I sat.
My  eyes 
Looked at the muddy bottom 
Of my little boat.


There, I see
A glimmer of beauty.
I reached 
Hoping I would capture it.
As I opened my hand,
A small round pearl
Rests on my palm.
It glowed, illuminating 
the surrounding boats.
Shadows disappeared 
Laughter stopped.
And yet, the pearl 
Still shined.




                               M.Z 





No comments:

Post a Comment